[Ti] Monitor Callibration?

b syrflip at verizon.net
Mon Jul 5 12:48:40 PDT 2004

FWPHOTO paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>Anyway, I'd like to get the LCD monitor set up as well as I can. I suppose a
>software/hardware combo would be best (recommendations please ;-), but
>other, more general techniques might be fine for my
>somewhat-less-than-100%-critical application.
>
>Thoughts? Comments? Criticisms?
>
>TIA,
>
>Frank Wiewandt

There's a wide range of choices, but the first thing to do is to use
the setup Color builtin to the internal LCD:

System Prefs-->Displays
Click the 'Color' tab in 'Displays'
Follow onscreen instructions for calibration

That's the easiest way. The critical steps are 'white point' and
contrast. Start with brightness up all the way.

The 'pro' way (or one of them), is to use Photo Retouch Pro, (if you
get it at a store it comes with Binuscan and other color charts. You
take a photo of the charts (actually one chart, to keep it simple),
get a color lab to give you a large print AND a digital file, ( a reg
Photoshop tiff or psd), AND a drum-scanned copy of the photo. (that
way you can color calibrate your scanner and monitor, and have them
'linked' in terms of calibration to your camera. It is not a simple
process. All the info is included in PhotoRetouch's documentation.

You can get around it by buying a chart (icc or binuscan,m etc,
Pantone, whatever) and photo it, scan it, get a lab to scan it
(highest possible res/quality) and then manually match it with
Apple's onboard screen color calibration...etc. You'll end up with as
close to What-You-See-IsWhat-You'll-Get, as possible.

If your camera 'favors' certain shades, and your scanner is 'darker'
than originals (very common), you can calibrate the whole chain and
know that scans to clients, appearance onscreen, etc, will jibe.

~flipper