[Ti] iTunes bypassing Canada [OT - RANT]

T Molnar tam at em.ca
Mon Jul 5 13:44:43 PDT 2004

Richard,
Whinge? :-)

No problem!  Just projecting from my experience with Apple/canada over
the years and what its left me to conclude.

Do I really care about iTunes, no not that much, as I said .mac is of
much more use to me, but its other things about Apple in Canada which
leave me wondering sometimes.

Still, as it concerns iTunes, it seems to me Canada is a good market
(who would argue?).
We are "right next door" (technologically, infrastructurally
interwoven), have a substantial purchasing segment, with a "free trade
act" (designed and in place for quite a long while now to facilitate
just such developments)

So I think its fair to wonder about why buying through an iTunes apple
Canada store is still not here and perhaps not just chalk it up to
market numbers.  I mean apple does want to make money, no? :-)
______________________________
Warning Conspiracy Theories below:

**Perhaps Steve didn't get the free canadian beer he was promised by
some canadian singer? (Nelly F. or Neil Y. was that you?)  :-)  and has
decided to retaliate.
**Perhaps the hollywood movie industry is pressuring Steve to ignore
Canada, because Canadians have been taking their film location away and
this is hollywoods  way to hit back :-)  (and no one sent him free
canadian beer either)
**Perhaps a then young Steve is still mad at Lorne Green because Green
(a Canadian) didn't give him his autograph after meeting Green
(Canadian) onset at a Bonanza filming?
** Perhaps its because Steve always wanted to be a comedian and nearly
all the good one's are Canadian and he knows it's impossible (and he
still can't get free canadian beer, never mind he could buy all the
breweries in Canada) :-)

Who knows??????
_______________________________

Perhaps more explicit explanations  from Apple Canada/US (as well as
others involved) might be considered a courtesy to both their regular
customers and potential customers (all those wide eyed windows users
who really want to buy an ipod and buy music in Canada).
I am wasting my time writing about it but I don't lose sleep over it.

Apple does of course hold their "cards" close to the chest, so who
knows why? (see Conspiracy theories above).

However, as mentioned, and what I think Murray was getting at, is that
the iTunes situation (or is that non situation) seems indicative of
other situations concerning Apple in Canada.  It's doesn't seem just a
matter of not being a big enough market.

Anyway
have a good one or as they sometimes say
"have a good day, eh!" :-)

cheers,
tim