Anyone else having problems with OS X 10.3.4 and/or Java 1.4.2 ?

Paul Russell prussell at sonic.net
Tue Jul 13 07:04:08 PDT 2004

After upgrading to 10.3.4 some time ago (when it first came out) I
started to get a complete freeze of my 17" PowerBook approximately once
per day on average. I'd never had a single problem prior to this in
over a year of using this particular PowerBook. Thinking that it might
be due to the 10.3.4 update I did a complete reinstall of 10.3 and then
upgraded it to 10.3.3 (sans Java 1.4.2) and have been running like that
for over two weeks with no crashes or freezes. So, getting fed up with
the daily Software Update reminders I just upgraded to 10.3.4 and Java
1.4.2 again and now the freezes are back. Typically they happen in
Safari so I'm wondering whether it's Java 1.4.2 or OS X 10.3.4 that's
the culprit (moral of the story: when debugging only change one thing
at a time). One other thing I notice with 10.3.4 is that Safari will
often "hang" until I move the mouse - it looks like screen updates
aren't happening for some reason but moving the mouse gets things
moving again. Has anyone else had any similar experiences or am I
unique ?

Paul