[Ti] PB 550 battery

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Sat Jul 17 09:09:39 PDT 2004

John Lyon typed this message on 7/14/04 6:08 PM:

> Over the course of just a few weeks, battery time on my G4 TiBook 550
> went from 4+ hours (with the screen brightness turned all the way down)
> to less than an hour, real time.
>
> I did a reinstall to ensure I didn't have a runaway (M$) process hiding
> in the background, but got the same results. I know it's possible for a
> battery to "wear out" after three years or so, but over the course of
> weeks??

In the August edition of MacWorld (or is it MacAddict?) this problem is
discussed. They suggest doing the power manager reset exercise twice. Let
the Powerbook run until it forces itself to sleep and won't wake up until
the adaptor is inserted (ignore the power warnings). Then recharge the
battery to full capacity.

Following this, you go through the exercise again (run battery down to
self-quit then recharge the battery once again). This should reset the power
manager for you and you should get your 4+ hours back.

jg