[Ti] Poll 19

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Tue Jun 1 10:32:51 PDT 2004

So Steve, essentially you want one of these, slightly updated:
http://www.vintage-computer.com/osborne_1.shtml

;-)

I am currently a 17" owner; if you made a 19" that was just a bigger
12/15/17, it would not fly well.  Even if you crafted the case into a
nice little airfoil.  ;-)  I think what the next design step needs to
be is a folding screen; when you lift the lid for the computer, you can
then fold out a couple of wings on the screen (or they'd fold or extend
out from the sides of the screen automatically), providing additional
LCD space.  This really isn't that far-fetched, I don't think; there'd
be a few problems to overcome, such as designing a hinge or extension
mechanism for these wings, and getting a cable through there, keeping
them as absolutely thin as possible, and having as small a seam between
the different sections of the screen as possible..  Of course, there's
the usual enemy; increased battery use.

At this point, I think the idea probably isn't quite feasible (too
expensive, and too few customers), but it wouldn't surprise me to see
it in the future - perhaps with the next generation of display
technologies or so.  OLED displays don't need a backlight, and so are
thinner and require less power.  See URL below, especially checking out
the "thinner" link halfway down.
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/display/overview.jhtml

Along with this idea, you could not only have a 19" PowerBook without
carrying a 19" case, but you could also have a 17" PowerBook with a 12"
case; that's probably something that a number of people would pay for.

Anyway, I should probably go patent my idea if nobody else has already
(and somebody probably has)...  But I'm too lazy, and not greedy
enough.  But if you want to license it, just send a big check my way
and I won't complain.  Unless somebody at Apple wants to license it,
and then the price is a job.  Or at least an internship there next
summer - I didn't get any that I applied for this year. :-(
<sigh>