Firewire Voltage on AL Firewire

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Tue Jun 8 08:40:38 PDT 2004

Nope, that's the way things are.  The specifications on Apple's
developer website says that the 15" Ti PowerBooks have FireWire at
12-17 V unregulated DC with no load.  The Aluminum ones say 12.8 V
unregulated DC.  However, the Al has a much higher current capacity
than the Ti; the Al is rated for up to 7 W *per port*, 1.5A max for the
two ports combined.  The Ti is limited to 0.5A, and 6 W.  So you should
be able to get more power out of the Al, you just might need to adapt
to a lower voltage.  Of course, both of these pale in comparison to a
desktop model; the G5 provides 25 V, 15W.

I'd guess that anything further on this subject is likely beyond the
scope and experience of this list (unless anybody else here has any
further information for them?); you'd probably be better off visiting
developer.apple.com, or otherwise getting in contact with Apple; if
necessary, perhaps even purchasing a developer "technical support
incident" (about US$195, unless you are already an ADC Select or
Premier member, in which case you get some as part of the membership
fee).