[Ti] replacement batteries?

Justin R. Miller incanus at codesorcery.net
Fri Jun 11 09:55:03 PDT 2004

On Jun 11, 2004, at 12:14 PM, William Scammell wrote:

> have you been able to test the battery (full drain time) in the second
> machine?

No, the tech tested my battery briefly in a behind-the-counter Ti and
said that it was "doing the same thing" over there.  I've since thought
that it might have been behaving normally but that he didn't have an
explanation for that.  That would explain the slight discharge that I
was left with.

I once read online about someone having a similar problem and hooking
up a 12V car lamp to their battery to discharge it.  I'd rather not
mess with something that extreme... I just wish I had regular access to
another Ti :-(

> #2 seems odd to me as well. i'd be tempted to say there's something
> wrong with the first laptop. perhaps a bad/shifted connection between
> the battery and the motherboard or power-related hardware inside the
> first laptop.

I could get NOTHING out of my battery, but with their battery it was
able to power up no problem and everything seemed fine.  To me it
points to either an "issue" with my battery or something to do with the
combination of my battery and my laptop.

> when testing on the second laptop, did you also use the power supply
> from the first machine?

I think he was using their power supply as it was already hooked up to
their machine.  My power supply is my third, the two previous having
failed under normal use within six months.

> and, have you tried using the second laptop's battery in the first
> laptop? as well as the second laptop's power supply?

Yes, and it behaved fine.  I did not test another power supply, and
will do so with my girlfriend's iBook adapter as soon as finish this
email, since I have to power down :-/

> (it sounds to me like the apple store did a rather poor job of
> attempting to isolate what part of the overall hardware is at fault.
> saying "battery" just makes a quick sale for them.)

That was my thought after I left and got to thinking about it.  I have
yet to buy one, though.  At least the troubleshooting was free.  I wish
a store was closer than an hour as I would find sometime when their not
so busy and see if I could tinker with one of their Ti's for a while.

> oh, concerning the first laptop, has the battery ever experienced the
> "falling out" problem?

Nope, just once when I actually slid the lock out of place accidentally.

--
Justin R. Miller
incanus at codesorcery.net
PGP key at http://codesorcery.net/pubkey.html