[Ti] AOL AIM and iChat

Wilhelm Wanders kaskudoo at freenet.de
Fri Jun 11 10:10:27 PDT 2004

no, hadn't any luck ...
i used to videoconference a lot when i had my second computer (pc)
standing here .... 'cause my whole family is spreaded around the world
and it is nice just to be able to see the opposite .... to me it is not
undertandable that apple hasn't done anything about it in years ....
... the disappointment was big when i got my isight (christmas) and
couldn't use it with anyone else than mac users ...
there are only a few apps out there that can actually handle cross
platform videoconferencing - most of them cost something, which is
terrible as well, because netmeeting for example is free since years
and provides decent quality (well, for being there a couple of years)
i ended up using my old webcam (philips) to use with the mac,
installing some 3rd party software to simulate the old usb driver ....
i think a program called 'iVisit' does a decent job (also with isight),
you can try it for free (restrictions apply: smaller video e.g.) ...
and it is cross plattform compatible ....
i mean how hard can it be - we are in the year 2004 aren't we ?

^_^

On Jun 11, 2004, at 12:47 PM, Sambouka wrote:

> also, has anyone had any luck doing an AV between AOL and iChat?
>
> --
> OS 10.3.3
> Tibook G4 867 MHz,
> 1GB RAM, 32MB Video,
> 60GB HD, 250GB External HD
> 30GB iPod
> iChat: Sambouka
> http://homepage.mac.com/sambouka
> On Jun 10, 2004, at 5:25 PM, Yuta Hsu wrote:
>
>> Is she typing in your screenname correctly?  If you're using a .Mac
>> account on iChat, your screenname is your entire .Mac address
>> (sambouka at mac.com) as opposed to just your name (sambouka).  If
>> you're using an AIM account, then I don't know what the problem could
>> be other than she's typing it in wrong :)
>>
>> Good luck!
>> Cheers,
>> Yuta
>>
>> On Jun 10, 2004, at 9:13 AM, Sambouka wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry guys for being a bit off topic. but i have a friend of mine
>>> that uses AOL AIM. I am able to see her when she logs on, but she is
>>> not able to see me. does anyone have a clue why this is happening?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Sam
>>> --
>>> OS 10.3.3