[Ti] replacement batteries?

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Sat Jun 12 11:04:43 PDT 2004

I think there's a battery failure that you're not considering here.
Really, there are two points of failures: the cells can wear out, which
might happen after 2 or 3 years of normal use, maybe earlier.
Typically, you'll just see less and less runtime from the battery.
There's another type of failure, however; the batteries are "smart" and
have some logic inside them.  This logic tells the computer how much
longer the battery can provide power, what its full capacity is, its
charge status, keep the battery safe (by preventing overcharging, which
on a Li-Ion battery can be quite explosive) and other data.  It is my
guess that the cells in your battery are probably OK, or at least
passable, and the logic circuits are confused or broken.

Of course, separating a battery failure into one of these two
categories only serves to tell you what the symptoms are; either way,
the battery probably needs to be replaced.  Batteries are consumables,
they are not intended to last forever.  I was in a conference call with
some of the laptop designers at Apple a while ago, though, and I did
let them know that many people want improved battery life - and by
that, I mean not only more hours on one charge, but also more charges
on a battery before it dies.  They're really at the mercy of whatever
the market can provide, though, so we just have to hope that battery
manufacturers continue to improve their products.