[Ti] traveling overseas need tech advice

Sam Hotchkiss ti at zlit.net
Sun Jun 13 20:31:30 PDT 2004

On 6/13/04 8:00 PM, "T Molnar" <tam at em.ca> wrote:

> I am wondering about things like.
>
> 1. Film or digital camera use (they both have their advantages and
> disadvantages)
> Anyone with experience photo-journaling around Europe in a non
> professional manner please post something.

What about a digicam paired with iPod?

For camera, I would recommend a Nikon CoolPix 3200 (Under $250).  I have
sold a few of these to college students, and they just love them to death.
Easy to use, SMALL, GREAT picture quality, and, best of all, they take 2 AA
batteries at a time (instead of 4 in a lot of cameras), and you can get 60+
pictures out of these batteries.  So, at less than $0.25 a battery (if you
buy in bulk), that's DIRT cheap per picture.

Spend the $75 on a 256mb SD card

Now it gets cool :)

Instead of an iBook, get her an iPod... Even a 15 gigger... Tell her to only
put 7 or 8 gigs of music on there, and you've got 5-6 gigs for photo storage
(figure about 1 gig of formatting overhead)...  You just have to get 2
accessories to make it all work on the road:

First is a Belkin iPod Media Reader...  $100 ($89 from small dog... Froogle
for all these items), it lets you import the memory card from the camera
into your iPod:
http://tinyurl.com/r773

Second is a Belkin Battery Pack for iPod... $60, it lets you power the iPod
off of AA batteries... This whole setup would come to a screeching halt if
the iPod died...
http://tinyurl.com/ai89

Total cost... Under $710.  Much cheaper than any iBook on its own :)

I recently set a customer up with this solution (with a more professional
camera and a 40gb iPod) and sent him to the amazon... We'll see how he fared
in about 6 more weeks!

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me offlist (hotch at gmail
dot com)

--
Samuel W. Hotchkiss
Apple Product Professional
hotch at zlit.net

Laptop History: PB 145, PB 520c, PB 3400c, 400mhz Pismo, 400mhz TiBook,
667mhz TiBook (rev b), 1ghz TiBook