[Ti] traveling overseas need tech advice

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Mon Jun 14 00:38:53 PDT 2004

Personally there is nothing more pleasurable than taking photos with my
SLR (Nikon F-3) or Rangefinder (Contax G1) when travelling. But there
are some serious advantages and disadvantages to using a digital setup.

-  high initial cost of a decent (for me decent is, say, a Fuji finepix
with 5+ Megapixels)  digital camera (compared to say a second hand
SLR)

+ low cost/time to get photos developed (no development necessary)

+ To be able to upload all your photos (to your Powerbook -- I think
this is also doable with an iPod)  and then edit (read trash) them each
night is an absolute dream. If she wants to keep the journal up-to-date
as things happen it's great too, cause she can just pop into an
Internet cafe and put them live on to the WWW.

These days digital cameras are great, especially because you can use
them so easily in places where you wouldn't normally take a camera
(e.g. in a nightclub) especially as they tend to be very compact and
unintrusive. However for me the pleasure of handling real photos (or if
you are braver, slides) and looking at the colours is priceless. Colour
is where most of the digital cameras seem to fail miserably at the
moment. The saturation and verity of colours from a £150 Contax SLR
(from ebay) outclasses those from a £300 Fuji digi.

--
Tarik