[Ti] traveling overseas need tech advice

JFL jfl1970 at mac.com
Mon Jun 14 10:13:04 PDT 2004

Travelling with a digital camera is the way to go if you love taking
pictures. I've been digital since the Apple Quicktake days, and the
cameras today are far superior to film if you take pictures of
EVERYTHING. Only problem with digicams are still the nagging prints,
which get expensive to make both in cost and time especially after
taking 500+ pictures. :-)  Some places are offering print services which
are somewhat comparable to film printing in price. With the popularity
of digicams, expect more services to pop up and the prices to pop down.

Have to disagree somewhat with the two Belkin products though -- they
are great ideas that have a few nagging disadvantages. (And I do own and
use both -- have iPod, will travel)

The iPod battery is one designed for the stop and go hard drive activity
of MP3 playing, but if you force it to feed a continuously spinning
drive, it doesn't last long. This is what the media reader does, and had
the reader been a bit faster (a USB 1 card reader to the PowerBook HD is
faster) and took advantage of its firewire connection, it wouldn't
strain the battery so much.
The reader works and works well, but you can't ask it to transfer large
files coupled with a large memory card. I've tranfered a 192 Mb card
filled 4 megapixels images, and the iPod fully charged battery poops out
at the end if not before. The AAA batteries in the media reader power
the unit itself and don't do a thing for the iPod's power. And there's
no way to pause the transfer of files to let the iPod battery recover.
Only way to work it the way it should work is to transfer a handful of
files at a time, but I don't do this -- once you shoot digital, you tend
to take A LOT of pictures on a day's run around wherever being all
touristy.

The Belkin external battery pack is just that; an external source of
power to power the iPod. It does not charge the internal battery, nor is
there a way to use it with the media reader.

(I do have version 1s of both products -- would appreciate any feedback
to any improvements made to these guys.)

- J