(OT) virus reports sent back to me by PC users

F. Mortes fmortes at saltidiomes.com
Wed Jun 16 07:53:51 PDT 2004

Dear friends,

I need a little help.

Over the last few months, I've been getting an awful lot of what
appears to be messages created by virus detection systems on other
people's computers, informing me that I've sent them a message
containing a virus. Most such messages come from people I do not even
know ... and sometimes include .exe attachments!

But in other cases these come from people I regularly deal with and, on
one occasion, I've had a concerned call from a customer whose IT Dept.
blame ME for "the repeated infection attempts" she has been suffering,
allegedly by messages sent from my computer. Now, I very rarely send
this customer e-mails and certainly not as often or when she claims she
has got them ...

I know that there are no known viruses yet for Jaguar (except some
trojan that can disguise itself as an .mp3 file?) and my Powebook (Ti
550) is working like a charm, but ...

... could I be infecting other users and their PCs?

Is there anything I can do to stop receiving those annoying messages or
to reassure my concerned customer?

Thank you in advance!

Francesc in Catalonia