[Ti] (OT) virus reports sent back to me by PC users

Michael wakinyan at fuse.net
Wed Jun 16 08:07:02 PDT 2004

>But in other cases these come from people I regularly deal with and,
>on one occasion, I've had a concerned call from a customer whose IT
>Dept. blame ME for "the repeated infection attempts" she has been
>suffering, allegedly by messages sent from my computer. Now, I very
>rarely send this customer e-mails and certainly not as often or when
>she claims she has got them ...

unfortunately, many of these virii use the address book of the
infected user to not only send itself, but to spoof the "from"
header;  I have received a few of these as well, but it seems to come
from from (IMHO, faulty) filters on mail servers that "trust" the
from header to be accurate.  Also, while choosing to reject rather
than discard suspect email may on the surface be a courtesy, with
these virii, the mail servers themselves are generating spam of a
sort.

Short of asking all of your Windows contacts to remove you from their
address book, there is little you can do about this.
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com