[Ti] (OT) virus reports sent back to me by PC users

Wilhelm Wanders kaskudoo at freenet.de
Wed Jun 16 10:56:24 PDT 2004

hi =)

you are most likely NOT infected.
others might get contaminated email 'from you', but the FROM header had
been 'spoofed', meaning it has been changed .... it makes it appear as
if you would have sent the message, but you didn't ....
i got email from my dad once, that had a virus attached to it - but i
know that he certainly didn't send it, since he has no idea how to do
so .....
the it department that you described should be aware of email spoofing
and when you tell them that you use a mac, they should understand.

what can you do now? ... the one suggestion, to let your windows
friends change/delete your email is most likely as good as it can get.
i guess there is not really much you can do about this, since you are
not involved at all.
easiest thing would probably be to get a new email address for those
folks ....
standard equipment like anti-virus software should be installed, also a
firewall (-> although in these days that is not necessary yet, but like
someone said in future that might be the case)
i get about 4-5 mails with virus attachments a week ... they
automatically get sorted out and land in the trash, it is still
irritating though ... in the past month i dealt with 2 windows
computers, that had different virii, browser hijacker, mal/adware on
'em and the only way to get it going again is to re-install the whole
thing -- of course most of the user DO NOT make a regular backup .....
well, i am getting of topic here ....

good luck =)