[Ti] (OT) virus reports sent back to me by PC users

Dale Gardner drgardner at mac.com
Wed Jun 16 11:01:33 PDT 2004

Three factors, I think.

Technology: MP3Concept was not malicious and was intended, IIRC, more to
generate attention and press, but it did demonstrate the technology to do
this sort of thing exists and people, even Mac users, will click on any damn
thing that shows up in their mailbox.

Practicality: One of the real reasons Mac's have been ignored by virus
writers is that none (ok, few) of them used the platform - how are you
really going to write a Mac virus if you use a Windows machine? Now that
Macs are seeing uptake amongst the technical/hacker crowd, due to OS X, it's
just easier for them to do the job.

Pride: Hackers and virus writers are motivated by ego. Any loser can write a
virus for Windows, you don't have to know anything. But that's not true of
Macs - or Unix in general - so what kind of an ego trip would it be to write
the 'first' major virus/worm for OS X? Take that smug look right off the
face of all those people who claim Macs are immune to viruses.

The third point alone makes it an irresistible target.

Regards,

Dale

--
Dale Gardner