[Ti] traveling overseas need tech advice

alexandre mac.k at a2k.ch
Thu Jun 17 03:12:46 PDT 2004

Le 14 juin 04, à 11:54, Kynan Shook a écrit :

> I travelled around Europe (Netherlands, France, Spain) for about a
> month a few years ago, mostly by bike.  My mom and sister each had
> digital cameras, and I brought my iBook along to save the pictures to.
>  It worked very well; we periodically burned CDs to back up the
> photos.  Occasionally we'd have to fight over outlets as some hostels
> had very limited (or poorly placed) electricity.  We didn't really get
> online at all while there; but presumably one should be able to find a
> wireless hotspot in many cities.  Other options would include
> connectivity by cell phone or subscribing to a dial-up service with
> local numbers across many countries.  Another method of transferring
> files to the internet would be to get a small USB keychain flash
> drive, and hook it up to a public computer that's already online -
> perhaps a library, the hostels, an internet cafe, or whatever she
> might stumble across.

here in zürich there are countless FREE wifi hotspots in cafés, bars,
clubs. internet cafés are not so common, and if so, are quite
expensive. public hotspots are still expensive though, thanks to
swisscom, orange and sunrise...
i was in bulgaria last month. one hour in an internet café was about
0.5 euros! the pcs had burners, adsl access... and there are many of
them. there was even a free wifi hotspot at sofia airport. great when
your plane is delayed three hours.

alexandre