Case-cleaning tip o' the day

David Brostoff brostoffassoc at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 22 19:24:18 PDT 2004

Has your Ti 500 just come promptly back from AppleCare with a nice,
new case (to take care of paint bubbling and worn-off rubber lid
stops), two new rubber feet (to replace the ones that had fallen
off), new keyboard (to fix a broken "period" key) and new logic board
(to replace a non-functioning FW port)?

If so, don't call AppleCare and endure the long, annoying
music-on-hold to ask how to remove the dark-purplish ink-like
blotches someone sloppily left on the lid near the latch.

They'll only tell you, after leaving you on hold for an even longer
time, to use a soft cloth and nothing else--which, from my personal
experience, even if you use with KlearScreen and a lot of very hard
rubbing (not particularly recommended on the back surface of the LCD)
may take you oh, say, at least three or four hours for an area a
quarter the size of a dime.

They'll also tell you that you can go to an Apple Dealer who will
remove the stain for you--but they won't tell you what the Apple
Dealer will use to do it, so you could do it yourself.

Instead of wasting your time doing all this, get a bright inspiration
to try a Staedtler vinyl eraser. Two or three seconds of gentle
rubbing and instantly the stain will disappear, with no damage to the
case.

At least that's what happened to me. Use at your own peril--I assume
no liability!

David