[Ti] AIM, iChat, etc

b fl1pper at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 28 15:43:32 PDT 2004

Yuta Hsu paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>Well, I just ran a test by starting the firewall and blocking 5190
>and was able to log in using iChat and chat successfully.  I even
>blocked port 4099 which is another AIM port, and was still able to
>chat.  I think AIM has become a bit more flexible in finding ports
>to use.  I know you can change the port in the AIM client.

You're blocking "Incoming", you have to block "Outgoing", garden
variety' firewall apps don't do that very well.

If your Port 5190 i blocked from sending, from your end, not AOL's,
you will NEVER be able to log in to the AIM server. Period.

Get a Port utility, and set it do deny outgoing access, using TCP, on
Port 5190, and if you're paranoid, have it block 'sending' to
addresses from 0.0.0.0 to 192.255.255.255

that'll do it. "Firewalls' deal with incoming, so of course you can
log on, and once logged on you have countless open ports to receive
back on, the key is "Block the port that you use to log on".

~flipper