[semi - OT] Tiger - Core Image Graphics

Leander Hutton lh59281 at appstate.edu
Mon Jun 28 21:58:19 PDT 2004

Anyone else here read the system requirements for Core Image?  It seems
a little steep but it makes sense since that it very demanding of the
GPU.

I wonder what Apple means by "The performance gains and features
supported by Core Image ultimately depend on the graphics card.
Graphics cards capable of pixel-level programming deliver the best
performance. But Core Image automatically scales as appropriate for
systems with older graphics cards, for compatibility with any
Tiger-compatible Mac."

Does that mean that Core Image will still run (just without some of the
bells and whistles) on the Radeon 9000 in the last revision of the Tis
or does it mean it will be like Quartz Extreme and cut off on any
graphics cards that doesn't meet it's requirements?

I also wonder where Apple is going to draw the compatibility line this
time.  In Panther they dropped all no USB native Macs.  Anyone heard
anything about Tiger's minimum system requirements?

Thanks
Leander