more about that disappearing disk space

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Sat Mar 6 03:34:04 PST 2004

As previously posted, my (start-up) OS X (10.3.2) disk space keeps
disappearing.....

It seems to happen more and more.  I had my suspicions, and have been
following this carefully.

It is almost certainly due to the use of Omnigraffle 2.2 (bundled
with my Al-book), which I am using more and more to create diagrams
and charts.  It is very good software, BUT somehow, it causes my disk
space to disappear in large chunks.

Normally I have around 2 Gb free.  Now I am getting the system
warning "little space left on your start up disk" .  I only have 81
Mb free.  I have just created a chart of the Periodic Table, which
itself is only a 68k file.  The exported GIF from this file is 712k.
But the process of creating this and exporting it has consumed about
1.8Gb of disk space.  Quitting Omnigraffle has not released the space.

I had to re-start to recover the free disk space (now at 2.01 Gb).

I am not blaming Omni, just making the observation.

There may be other software that also has this effect, but for now, I
know that Omnigraffle is definitely one of the culprits of my
disappearing disk space.

regards,  Trevor