[Ti] :o(((

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Thu Mar 11 16:02:33 PST 2004

I agree that it's probably the best option now to just send it in to
Apple; for under $400, they'll repair anything (except a display on a
GigE or original PBG4, as those displays are in extremely short
supply...  Also, there are exceptions for abuse (dropping, spills,
etc.)).

As for your tech support, well, they're full of crap.  You can run a
PowerBook with no fan installed with zero problems.  Well, at least for
the first minute or two.  After that, it'll likely crash, and it'll
turn itself off once it gets too hot, possibly damaging some components
along the way, but it'll at least turn on.  It's probably just a dead
logic board of some sort.
I'm gonna guess that either your tech support is full of PC boys that
are used to wintel laptops that get so hot that the fan has to be
running all the time, or they are seeing the fan jitter right when
pressing the power button; this is normal behavior, but I could see
somebody mistaking it for indicating that the fan is dead.