[Ti] Slow finder on a 17" Al

Peter Krug pkrug at mac.com
Sat Mar 13 07:16:04 PST 2004

>Has anyone else had problems when moving to a new machine with their old
>files?

Definitely.  I moved a user folder from a Jaguar machine to a Panther
machine which had an old version of uControl.  I had major login
issues every other restart (the uControl extension was nice enough to
disable itself if it detected problems while logging in, so I was
able to login after each failure).  Holding down the shift key at
login was the clincher.

If you are going to move a user folder to any new computer, you need
to realize that your old computer may have installed system-level
apps (antivirus, hacks, etc) that will no longer work because they
haven't been installed on the new computer yet.  This will even
happen after an archive and install.  I wish I had figured that out
before three months of alternate failing to login.

Peter
--
A little computer haiku:
I can't remember

This message sent with Eudora 6.1b3 on Mac OS X 10.3.2