[Ti] Digital voice recorders

Cristopher Nash c at windsong.u-net.com
Sat Mar 13 13:29:52 PST 2004

P. H. "Patch" Adams wrote about the Olympus DS330 --

>From Amazon.com DS330 reviews:

[SNIP]

>The recorder and its accompanying Mac software work great. I noticed
>one reviewer said the included software does not work in OS 10.2,
>which is true: the version on the CD would not run after
>installation. However, after quick trip to Olympus' web site, I
>downloaded and installed the software.
>
>I like how the software allows you to manage the recordings on the
>voice recorder, listen to them before downloading, download only
>what you want, and export them to AIFF files, which can be played by
>QuickTime.

Having tried many units and participated in widespread forum
discussions over several years in the effort to find a digital
recorder capable of this, in fear of more disappointment I hate to
get too excited here and wonder if I've got the story right?

Do I understand that it is now possible (as Olympus long erroneously
advertised) to deliver voice data to a Mac that sophisticated
voice-recognition software such as ViaVoice-for-Mac will convert to
text?

IBM (ViaVoice) informed me in 2003 that no Olympus or other digital
recorder could do this with any Mac OS down to and including 10.2.3.
At last reckoning I've seen no other Mac-compatible VR software able
to bridge this gaping gap.  (Naturally Speaking with PC emulators
fails.)   Has the situation changed?   Or does Apple's vast $$
investment in handheld keyboard/stylus technology still block the way?

Don't get me wrong - for 18 years I've been an Apple devotee, but
here for my money the industry's never stopped looking backward.

Olympus still omits G4s from its published list of DS330-compatible
hardware. Maybe someone here has proved them mistaken.

In the hope of better news, thanks!

Cris Nash