[Ti] Airport File Transfer Speed

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Mon Mar 29 21:25:33 PST 2004

Check for sources of interference; microwave ovens, some fluorescent
lights, other wireless devices (802.11b or g access points, cordless
phones, etc.), and lots of other things.  There is a limited amount of
bandwidth available in the 2.4 GHz band, and if other devices are using
it, there is a lot of noise in those frequencies, and/or the wireless
clients have to retransmit data frequently because it is lost in
transmission, you will see decreased throughput.  Try turning on
Interference Robustness on both client and airport sides, and/or
changing the channel.  Use something like MacStumbler or kisMac to
search for other wireless networks in the area.  Try getting closer to
the base station.  You can use Activity Monitor
(/Applications/Utilities in 10.3 or later) to monitor network
throughput, and see whether the traffic is going through in bursts
(more typical if there's a lot of interference) or at a low, continuous
rate (more typical if the signal is weak).