[Ti] dvd disk image

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Wed Mar 31 05:49:59 PST 2004

--On Monday, March 29, 2004 08:02 PM -0800 TM Buffalo <macgal44 at mac.com>
wrote:

> I read somewhere that you can copy a dvd movie as a disk image and then
> watch it on your laptop which is  less cpu intensive and hence longer
> battery life. Was a dream or is this true and what is a disk image anyhoo.

You can use DVDBackup <http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10757>. It is
more easy to use, I think, than OSeX. It doesn't copy to a disk image, but
rather creates a VIDEO_TS folder on your hard drive which you can then view
(with menus and subtitles et. al.) with the Apple DVD Player. It decrypts and
stores on disk. I find it a great way to time-shift movie rentals, picking
them up in the middle of the week when availability is better at the store.
It is an uncompressed copy on disk and burns up disk storage quickly at about
6-8GB per DVD, but it works fine if you copy, watch, erase. It is less
battery intensive then spinning a DVD and great for long airplane trips.

--
Dennis Fazio