[Ti] Airport base station orientation

rob morris rob.morris at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 31 19:49:33 PST 2004

On 31.3.2004 20:31, "Robert Ameeti" <robert at ameeti.net> wrote:

>> On 31.3.2004 16:44, "Jason Tertadian" <haiku23 at mac.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, I remember reading somewhere once that a vertical mount is
>>> actually better in some way.
>>
>> Airport base stations use different antennas.  The original graphite base
>> station used the Lucent Card that has the antenna built into the card.   The
>> next design, the snow base station, and then the one now, the extreme base
>> station, use a dipole antenna that is built into the case.
>> Horizontal mounting is known to better due to the fact that the antenna
>> pattern for all the designs is more like a flat round pattern.
>
> If the signal is not spherical, then the 'best' orientation would be different
> based on where the signal needs to go.

Actually on the original graphite base station one could refer to the signal
as a small spherical pattern but still like a pancake.   Where the snow and
extreme antennas, dipole types, are truly flatter.
Ck this link for info and how different antenna patterns look... especially
the dipole.

http://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/antenna_patterns.htm