[Ti] apple logo

cheshirekat cheshirekat at pobox.com
Mon May 3 20:44:11 PDT 2004

On Mon, May 03, 2004, the following words from Steve Martin
stevemartin at mac.com, emerged from a plethora of SPAM ...

>When you are giving your presentation, are you looking at the PowerBook
>screen or the presentation display.
>
>If you don't need to see the PowerBook screen just turn the brightness
>all the way down until the display backlight goes off.  That will stop
>the Apple from glowing.
>
>On May 3, 2004, at 12:09 PM, Daniel Rubinstein wrote:
>
>> What is the best way to hide/disable the glowing apple logo on the
>> lead of the PowerBook? At the moment i have a postcard stuck on top of
>> it, but when i give presentations i would prefer not to distract
>> attention. is there a software solution that will disable it?

Sometimes the bright Apple logo is a good thing.

I recently worked in a local community college in an office that had a
computer "expert" in between all the users and the IT department who was
vocally very anti-Mac. When I bought my new PowerBook, the first words
from the "expert" was "Why didn't you get a REAL computer? Nobody uses an
Apple for REAL work." A few days later, we were sitting at the back of a
very large auditorium listening to a speaker from a government agency in
Washington D.C. The moment I saw the glowing Apple logo from the back of
the laptop just set up for the presentation, I was going to say
something, but decided to keep quiet until a break in the presentation.
The computer expert nudged me a few moments later because she was
wondering what the presentation software was that was used by the
presenter. She was very impressed with the quality of the presentation. I
had to bite my tongue for a few seconds before nudging the "expert" and
replying, "Look! That's an Apple logo. They are using an Apple PowerBook
just like mine!" The "expert" didn't believe me because she thought I was
just seeing Apple's everywhere. So, as the presentation ended, I made her
walk up to the stage with me to verify that it was indeed an Apple
computer before they put all the equipment away. It was at least a month
before I could look the computer expert in the face without forcing
myself to refrain from laughing out loud because she said "I guess I was
wrong. Apples can be used for REAL work." She never changed her anti-Mac
stance for the office, but it was nice having her admit she was wrong
about Macs.

So, I'm really glad the Apple logo can be seen, even if a bit distracting. :-)

--
Alas! all music jars when the soul's out of tune.
- Miguel De Cervantes (1547-1616), Spanish writer. Altisidora, in Don

* 867 PowerBook G4 * OS X 10.2.8 * 768 MB Ram *
* Addictions: iTunes 4 * WarCraft * The Sims * FileMaker Pro