Summary - moving to Albook from Tibook

Bryan Forbes bforbes at forbesonline.org
Fri May 7 15:55:38 PDT 2004

Thanks for the individual responses rec'd.

To recap ... my Tibook dropped out of a case with a velcro latch.  It
was not repairable, but I was able to do a last bootable backup from
the HD on the Tibook to an external LaCie Firewire drive before I had
to give it to my insurance company.  I was also able to deauthorize my
iTunes account on it as well ... good thing to remember.  If you have a
laptop you'd better call your insurance agent and see if you need a
specific "rider" put on it and make sure it's enough to get you back
into another unit.  Unfortunately, they may only give you fair market
value and take out depreciation.  I did and I'm glad!

The Tibook has been replaced by a new 1.5 Gig Albook (at this time
everything seems to be working quite well).  I had to throw in an extra
$300.00 (memory, etc.), but that was the price I had to pay in moving
to a brand new unit.  I also lost my ability to natively boot into OS
9.

My questions centered on moving my bootable back from the external
LaCie Firewire drive to the new Albook.  The bootable backup software I
use is Synchronize Pro X from Qdea software.

----------

This is what I ended up doing at the suggestion of Qdea support.  I
used the Albook's DVD's OS install disk to update the external bootable
backup that was on the LaCie drive to the Albook OS.  I selected the
"Options" button and also selected 'Archive and install".   This
updated my old Tibook's OS to the Albook OS (with all it's particulars
and saving my settings as well).

Then I stripped the OS on the Albook and did a bootable backup from the
LaCie drive back to the HD on the Albook.  The backup choked on two
files (but apparently they were not critical files as I've experienced
no problems for a couple of days).  I did have to reinstall two serial
#'s on two programs ... ironically one was Qdea's Synchronize Pro and
the other one was Aladdin's Stuffit Deluxe 8.  Nothing else has asked
for a serial # ... not even Microsoft Office, go figure.

When I asked Qdea about the two files that showed an error, he said he
couldn't respond without know more.  I thought most programs like that
made a log ... I'm not sure if Synchronize Pro does or not.  He also
stated some programs "ask" for a serial # reauthorization when going
from one HD to another.  He stated Aladdin must do it that way, he
indicated that was expected and built into Synch Pro.

Again, everything is perking along pretty good as long as I can tell.
All my applications are working that I've used to date.  All my email
is still there with all it's settings.  I did lose Macaroni as an
"other" in my system settings area and will have to reinstall that as a
3rd party item in the OS.

A number of other questions ...

1.	Will my Tibook power adapter work with the Albook?  I've been using
both for the last couple of days with no side effects that I can tell.

2.	What programs from my new Albook install disk will I have to stick
in (probably using Pacifist as an OS X tome viewer), because I notice
that there aren't any of the programs in my program folder that were
promised with the Albook?  Not that I really need any of them, but
would just like to see what else they threw in as freebies.

3.	What do I do with the "previous system folder" that I now have on
the Albook.  In my OS 9 days, I would have eventually tossed it after
seeing things worked correctly.  Can I toss it in a few days or are
there things in that "previous system folder" I may need.?

4.	Off the subject ... but if you need Print Shop again ... I'm very
happy with Print Shop for OS X that I just purchased.  I just got mine
off the web for $35.00 (discounted and no postage) from MacKiev.  I'm
really impressed with the new version and the flexibility within it ...
if you've missed it for a few years on OS X ... it's back and I think
better than ever.

Again thanks for the responses I've rec'd!   If you can respond to the
above three, I'd be appreciative.

Bryan F.