[Ti] New 1.5ghz Powerbook up and running

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Sun May 9 09:15:09 PDT 2004

That's unusual; I got a 12" fairly recently, and I believe it was set
to sleep, eventually.  Perhaps something was running that cancelled
sleep?  What exactly did the logs say about sleep?

As far as temperature goes, 125 degrees is reasonable; that's the
temperature inside the CPU.  The temperature drops pretty quickly as
you get further from the CPU (eg out to the case).  The fan will kick
in at an appropriate temperature to keep the CPU and GPU cool enough,
though this temperature varies by model, and also somewhat by
individual computer.  Mine (17" 1 GHz) turns on the fan at 140 degrees
F, and off at 130.  There are separate temperature thresholds for the
GPU, but I've never bothered to figure them out.

Furthermore, even if your fan weren't working, there is additional
protection built in to every recent Apple portable; they go into
reduced processor speed at a certain temperature (WELL over the
temperature that the fan kicks in at - I have never seen a PowerBook
get anywhere close to that temperature, and I've worked with hundreds
if not thousands of PowerBooks), and then is forced into sleep a few
degrees higher.  The only way for it to get this hot, of course, would
be for the fan (or fans) to fail completely, and then for it to run
some extremely processor-intensive tasks for a while.  Even then, I'm
not sure it would be able to get all the way up to that temperature
without some component producing more heat than it should be.  But just
so you know, the protection is there, just in case.