[Ti] Ti 667 memory and drive upgrades?

John Belen imacdude at mac.com
Tue May 11 19:14:56 PDT 2004

On May 11, 2004, at 1:34 PM, Bill White wrote:

>> I have a 667 PB with 512 MB  memory and 30GB drive.  My Ti drive is
>> almost
>> full and memory tight with heavy Photoshop, iMovie use.
>>
>> What are my best, most reliable options for drive and memory upgrade
>> to avoid
>> buying new PB (brand, size, speed)?  Will these upgrades cause cooling
>> problems?  Am I safe to do exchange myself?
>
> My 1 GHz TiBook's 60 GB drive was getting full, so I just upgraded the
> drive
> to an 80 GB one running at 5400 RPM instead of 4200 RPM. It's made a
> noticeable difference! And I picked up a case for the old drive,
> giving 60
> gigs of external storage/backup.
>
> The drive is by Hitachi/IBM Travelstar and cost $249.99 from Other
> World
> Computing:
> http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=6337&Item=HIT08K0639

I have a 1Ghz Superdrive 60Gig.  The 60gig that came in it was only
4200rpm.  I just bought the travelstar 7200rpm 60Gig.  They have it
here:

http://www.spacecentersystems.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/
29195?refsrc=bizrate

I actually bought it through our Dell (sorry) corporate account.  There
is a difference between the 7K60, and the E7K60.  The "E" is a little
faster, quieter, and cooler.  I bought the IOgear 2.5" external USB
2.0/Firewire enclosure for my old drive.  The throughput on the hitachi
drive specs out almost 3X faster than the OE drive.  That should be a
speed-bump!!

My 2 bits
John Belen