[Ti] Do Aluminum books need screen protection?

David david.powerbook at firemail.de
Wed May 12 04:12:57 PDT 2004

On 5/12/04 12:24 AM, "Jerry Krinock" <jerry at ieee.org> wrote:

> Most of us with Titanium powerbooks now have subtle indentations in our
> screens where the trackpad edge and keys have rubbed on the screen while
> closed.

snip

> has Apple
> fixed this with the aluminum versions, or do I still need to put something
> in between the screen and the keyboard when transporting my new aluminum
> powerbook?

The answer is basically yes you probably need something between the keyboard
and screen but maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones. At work, our TiBooks
all have indentations or dirt tracks from nearly every row of keys. The
AlBooks generally don't seem to have actual indentations but they do
generally have oil/dirt tracks from the top-most rows. (I differentiate
between indentations vs dirt tracks based on the the fact that cleaning a
screen doesn't remove indentations but does remove dirt.) However, even
though my AlBook travels between two buildings and home every day I have no
marks on my screen after 7 months. Based on anecdotal evidence, I suspect my
experience is not typical.

david