Ti 667 memory and drive upgrades?

Dan K macdan at comcast.net
Wed May 12 07:51:37 PDT 2004

"Clifford R. Hume" <hume at u.washington.edu> wrote:
>I have a 667 PB with 512 MB  memory and 30GB drive.  My Ti drive is almost
>full and memory tight with heavy Photoshop, iMovie use.

RAM is a Customer Installable Part, so any remaining warranty is not
affected if you do the replacement yourself. IIRC, the HD is also a CIP,
but I'm too busy/lazy to look it up right now. Apple has support pages
with installation instructions for most all CIP procedures. Search the
Apple KB for more details.

What is/are the RAM module(s) in place now? If just one 512, you're in
luck, just add a second 512. If you have a pair of 256MB sodimms you'll
of course need to replace both with 512s for a total one GB. I had that
same 2 x 256 situation in my 667-DVI-10.3.x, but just replaced one for a
total of 768MB, which made enough of a difference I decided to hold off
on upgrading the second RAM slot. With 512MBs at ~US$100 it might be
prudent to just try that. If it's still not enough RAM, THEN go for the
full monty. :-)

What does the internal drive contain? That is, is it stuff you need to
carry about with you, or could much of it be off-loaded to an external
desktop drive? If you don't need to actually carry around more than, say,
a 2/3-full HD, I'd suggest buying a FireWire desktop drive. Large FW
desktop drives (based on 3.5" mechanisms and 120GB + bigger) are VERY
fast, relatively cheap and offer the most storage bang for the buck.

Dan K

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700
hotline://dankephoto.dhs.org:9500