A plea from us digest readers

Joel Hopwood hopwood at zhian.com
Tue May 18 01:29:13 PDT 2004

Hi everyone,

I've been reading and occasionally contributing to the TiList for over a
year, and I'd just like to make a special request...

*Please* could people start trimming quoted material?

When you reply to a message, just quote the relevant part that you're
responding to, then post your reply below it. If you're using Mail, this
is easily done by just selecting the relevant part of the message you're
replying to and then placing the cursor beneath it.

If you're using Outlook or something that doesn't let you selectively
quote, then it's infinitely better IMHO to simply delete the quoted
material than quote all of it. We've all seen the message that you're
replying to, we don't need to see it all again (and in any case it's below
the message you're sending, right?).

Why is this such a big deal?

At the moment, digest mode is almost unusable. About 80% of the text is
quoted material, mainly from poor mail clients that don't even flag it as
quotes, just use a Original Message Follows delimiter.

If anyone doubts what I'm saying, just try reading Digest mode for a few
days and you'll see what I mean. Besides, we're mac users (hell, we are
the elite of the elite, we *Ti* users!) so we ought to be able to get
basic netiquette right.

Cheers

Joel