Connecting an External Monitor

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Tue May 18 12:12:14 PDT 2004

Yes, you can.  In fact, I've done it myself.  :-D  Before anybody gets
mad at me, and or storms my door to rob me, I was just borrowing my
boss's display.  Managed to hang on to it for a week or two before he
wanted it back though.  ;-)
Anyway, you need the Apple DVI to ADC adapter - they've dropped the
price to $99, which isn't so bad.  Dr. Bott has a similar product, the
DVIator, which is about the same price.  I've only used the Apple one,
but it worked extremely well.  I haven't read their website too
carefully, but I saw some mentions at Dr. Bott that there were problems
with certain video card/OS/display size/resolution combinations.

Here's Apple's description of the DVI to ADC adapter, including a
compatibility chart (PowerBooks work with any of the Apple monitors,
some desktop video cards may not):
http://www.apple.com/displays/adapter.html

I should warn you though: the resolution on the 23" HD is so high that
DVDs start to look pretty bad if you're close enough.  Of course, it
varies with the movie, as different DVDs have different compression
ratios, generally governed by how much stuff they wanted to put on one
disk.

Good luck!  And, as payment for my invaluable advice, I expect a 23"
display of my own to arrive in the mail...  ;-)  I'll buy my own
adapter if that ever happens.