[Ti] PowerBook energy usage

Arjan Bos arjan.bos at hetnet.nl
Tue May 18 21:43:10 PDT 2004

On 16 mei 2004, at 10:43, Kynan Shook wrote:

> Well, I just thought some people on this list might be interested in
> how much power they're using by doing certain things, especially for
> those extremely concerned about making their battery last as long as
> possible before they need to recharge;
  Well, from your figures one can easiliy calculate how long a fully
charged top condition battery is going to last.

> 12"/1 GHz/80 GB/768 MB/SuperDrive (47 Watt-hour battery)
>
> Approximate power use for various things, and which of the computers
> the measurements apply to:
<snip/>
> Minimum power consumption: HD spinning but idle, backlight at minimum,
> Airport and Bluetooth off, minimal CPU and GPU usage: 12 W total for
> the whole computer.
47 Watt-hour battery / 12 Watt minimum consumption = 3.9 hours, or 3
hours and 55 minutes.

> 17"/1 GHz/60 GB/1 GB (55 Watt-hour battery)
<snip/>
> Minimum power consumption: HD spinning but idle, Airport and Bluetooth
> off, backlight on at lowest brightness, minimal CPU and GPU usage: 16
> W for the whole computer.
55 / 16 = 3.4 hours, or 3 hours and 26 minutes.

> Typical power consumption: HD reading and writing occasionally,
> Airport on, backlight at about half, moderate CPU usage, etc: 20-35 W.
roughly two hours on battery

> Maximum power consumption: battery at fast charge (other sources of
> power drain, eg display brightness, just take power that would
> otherwise go to the battery, the total power usage doesn't change at
> all): 60 W

slighly less then an hour on battery.

> It should be noted that these measurements (especially the ones for
> the whole computer) are NOT the same as what they'd be while on
> battery power: the power adapter takes some power, and some things are
> affected by a power change that can't be simulated on AC (some
> circuitry isn't used on battery, the speakers and sound circuitry
> won't turn off while on AC, etc.).

>  The 16 W minimal usable power drain would likely be several Watts
> less while on battery power, but I don't have an easy way of testing
> that.

So here you might gain a few minutes.

---
It was funny how people were people everywhere you went, even if the
people concerned weren't the people the people who made up the phrase
"people are people everywhere" had traditionally thought of as people.
And even if you weren't virtuous, as you had been brought up to
understand the term, you did like to see virtue in other people,
provided it didn't cost you anything.

-- (Terry Pratchett, The Fifth Elephant)