[Ti] TiPaint

Sam Hotchkiss ti at zlit.net
Wed May 19 17:05:20 PDT 2004

On 5/19/04 3:30 PM, "Scott Smith" <scottinma at mac.com> wrote:

> This shouldn't be rocket science.   Any touch up paint will not be "as
> nice" as the original finish. It goes on with a finger nail polish
> brush unless you want to spring for a air sprayer and tape the area
> off.   The issue here is customer service.  Sam probably did his level
> best to make people happy with his product.   The company in question
> takes your money, doesn't answer emails when customers are waiting and
> waiting to receive the purchase.  I personally sent three queries that
> no one cared to answer.   IMO, this company is defunct.  Maybe they
> don't realize it yet, but creating customer experiences like mine is an
> assurance that product will not sell in these times of communication.
> O'grady was about to receive a complaint from me for advertising this
> product on his site.  Just guess what I would tell someone if I were
> asked to recommend this product.

Exactly-- even now that I don't do it any more, I still answer every email
about it I get within 24 hours (advising them NOT to use TiPaint.com)!

Here's how I've gotten best results:

Take your computer to a local paint shop and have them match the paint...
Make sure that you have them put a touch on paper to dry and compare it,
because their matching machine isn't perfect.  It took me about 30-45
minutes in the shop to get mine matched.  Then apply it with a small swab
(looks kind of like a plastic single ended Q-Tip, but the tip is about 1/5th
of the size)-- they should sell these swabs, although you may have to buy
50... They are cheap... ~$5 for a 50 pack.    Then let it dry for an hour,
and, using the finest sandpaper in the store level it down, being very very
careful not to take off any more original paint.  I found I had to do this
about 5 times for the best results.

I haven't done this in about a year and a half, but my white paint is
starting to rub off, so I'm going to try this in a week or so, and I'll let
you guys know if I have any new tips.
--
Samuel W. Hotchkiss
Apple Product Professional
hotch at zlit.net

Laptop History: PB 145, PB 520c, PB 3400c, 400mhz Pismo, 400mhz TiBook,
667mhz TiBook (rev b), 1ghz TiBook