[Ti] OT: Red Hat on Mac?

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Fri May 21 05:30:19 PDT 2004

On May 21, 2004, at 6:48 AM, Sambouka wrote:

> I am curious to know if it is possible to install Red Hat on my Mac.
> Is it possible to do so through VPC?

Are you thinking Redhat Enterprise Server, or Fedora, which is the
Red-Hat-sponsored and community-supported open source project?  Redhat
is no longer free, and all the old Redhat versions have been
deprecated.

At any rate, it is possible to install it in VirtualPC.  I run Libranet
and Debian in VPC presently, and have run Redhat in the past, but if
you intend to use these systems with an X11 desktop such as KDE or
Gnome they are *painfully* slow.  Windows XP in VPC is a rocket sled on
rails compared to *any* linux distro running X11 in VPC.  Plus there
are no VPC extensions for linux, meaning if you use the mouse in your
virtual system it "captures" the mouse pointer in the virtual window
and you have to press the Command key to be able to go back to OS X.
While linux works fine at the command line in VPC, running it with any
GUI in VPC is a proof-of-concept thing only.  I used to play with that
stuff, but since OS X can run any of the X11 software that's been
recompiled for PowerPC with it's own version of X11, I no longer mess
with it.  If I want to run Konq or KMail on my Mac, just apt-get
install them from the Fink project.  In fact, you can run the entire
KDE or Gnome desktop environment right over the top of Aqua as shown in
these screenshots that I took awhile back:
http://astcomm.net/~chris/osx/screenshots/KDE3/

If you're interested in a graphical show of the step by step
installation of linux (Libranet in this case) in VPC, I took a series
of screenshots during the installation:
http://astcomm.net/~chris/osx/screenshots/Libranet_VPC/800x600/

or higher resolution (full screen) images of the same series of
screenshots:
http://astcomm.net/~chris/osx/screenshots/Libranet_VPC/1280x1024/
--
Chris