[Ti] Off_Topic: Are there OSX viruses?

Wilhelm Wanders kaskudoo at freenet.de
Fri May 21 11:28:07 PDT 2004

i agree with what Matthew Fossberg says.
You don't have a trojan on your mac - thats for sure ... what happened
is, that someone spoofed your email address ... that means, he pretends
to be you and sends emails in your name. Since he is using
(theoretically) your email account the bounced messages come back to
you. This method is often used by spammers and massmailers - you have
become a victim of this.
I don't really know what else you could do, other than change your
email address that has been hacked. For your future email address you
can take precautions, such as:
- don't mention it like 'johnedwards at earthbound.net' on your homepage -
instead use sth. like a little script or picture (this way email spider
apps fail to catch it through your page)
- have one email account for family and one for business matters
a.s.o. .... i have 4 email accounts - still get about 5 spam mails per
day, but they are filtered by mail.app ....
same thing happened to my wifes email account ... actually we realized
it, because she sent a virus to my mac (from her pc, hotmail account)
... well and that was very unlikely that it actually was her =)

anyways, i guess this is what you have to do .... maybe someone else
has an idea ... and also ask your ISP (the beepbeep i guess) about this
phenomenon, they will know what you mean.

william