[Ti] Your PB and night

Wilhelm Wanders kaskudoo at freenet.de
Fri May 21 13:23:13 PDT 2004

On May 21, 2004, at 3:55 PM, Scott Smith wrote:

> Is the general consensus voting to leave the PB on at night (OSX) in
> order for the maintenance operations to occur.  I have never left it
> on (I sleep mine) and I've read that certain maintenance task in Unix
> are scheduled for the wee hours.  Advise?

mh, i leave my pb running 24/7, but this is definetely not necessary
for that task. those tasks are scheduled by 'cron' .... now i am no
expert, but i've read about this too (the nightly thingy)
lately there were some posts about maintenance software and someone
mentioned 'Cocktail' .... so I installed it and checked it out and hey,
there you can activate and re-schedule those tasks (some are done
monthly, others weekly and daily)
this program is free to try (i think it gives you a period of 30 days
to check it out) .... it has a lot more features and it might really be
worth getting it ....

i am sure there are some console commands that will let cron run the
tasks immideately too - but i am really not that good with the console
(i grew up on MS DOS & win ... switched to mac 6 years ago) .... techtv
had an article about that too i think ....

i am sure someone here knows =)