[Ti] SECURITY ALERT

Marc Farnum Rendino mvgfr at mac.com
Sat May 22 14:36:47 PDT 2004

At 2:22 PM -0700 on 04/05/22, Kent Harris wrote:

>Since you guys use Mac's...
>
>Do NOT browse the internet with your Macintosh, there is a HUGE
>security hole!...

Let's not over-react here; there is, as yet, a _potential_ problem -
there has been no info yet that it's been exploited and used top
cause any damage - and certainly no reason to panic.

For the best info yet on it, check

	<http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/playground/security/diskURLscheme/>

Do install Apple's 5/24 security update and do install "Paranoid
Android" and do watch which URIs it then warns you about; some might
be valid, but if you don't recognize it, skip it.

Yes, it's serious, but no, it's not the end of the world.

- Marc

(BTW: From the opening of the message I'm replying to, it sounds
awfully like the other, gleeful "See! I told you Macs were no better
than Windows!" messages currently circulating - based on incomplete
and inaccurate info. Ah well...)