[Ti] SECURITY ALERT

b fl1pper at earthlink.net
Sat May 22 21:49:24 PDT 2004

Wilhelm Wanders paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>On May 22, 2004, at 5:22 PM, Kent Harris wrote:
>
>>The details are really quite interesting but the bottom line is
>>this is a MAJOR security hole.  We're talking RED ALERT, DEFCON 5,
>>you name it!
>
>sure ...
>why don't we initialize all our drives right away without asking
>questions, after that we spend at least 2k$ for a windozer and never
>connect it to the internet.
>next is form a group against globalization and try to boycott any
>store with a homepage ....
>
>uh wait, am i maybe overreacting ?
>
><yawn> (sorry just got up and not really awake yet)
>
>^_^

The funny thing is I was offline since end of september, until a week
ago. Two amazing things struck me when I got back on:

1) Apple's Software Update only listed three security updates. (There
are weeks where you could measure the time it takes Microsoft to
issue three patches, using a watch as opposed to a calendar). I
actuallt laughed out loud when I saw the three items in SU. and

2) After all these months, upgrading from 10.2.6 to 10.2.8 still
broke a boatload of apps over here, including my Transparent Dock,
which 10.2.8 was willing to sacrifice the 'house' verion, 'Dock', in
order to break. No mo Dock. I'm using Process Viewer, or top, to see
what I have 'open'...

I'm starting to think about 'upgrading' to Panther, erm, "when the
Leafs win the Cup", as we used to say.. <laughs>

~flipper