[Ti] Cracked Plastic Side Molding On Ti'books: Material and Repair

b fl1pper at earthlink.net
Sun May 23 07:14:53 PDT 2004

Jerry Krinock paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>on 04/05/21 18:51, Dan K at macdan at comcast.net wrote:
>
>>  Just an FYI for anyone interested, the 'trim' ring around the edge of
>>  TiBooks is made of ABS plastic, not carbon fiber. It _is_ black ABS
>  > however. :-)
>
>4.  Ambroid Proweld (near the bottom of the following link) is listed as
>dissolving other types of plastic other than ABS:
>
>http://www.ambroid.com/Ambroid.html
>
>******
>
>Regarding repair, after scraping off the failed ABS cement, I repaired it
>with 2-part epoxy, and it seemed to work, but I don't want to stress it.  If
>I wanted to do a good job, I would try the Ambroid Proweld since Dan says it
>has worked for him more than once.

I'm curious about all this. last year (late) in the robbery attempt
of my 667, the Mac landed on a stick that -by some cursed 'luck' -
went up the CD slot. So, there are two cracks that extend from each
corner of the bottom of the slot to the gray bottom cover. (the slot
was forced open, breaking the edging, in other words). Is it that
edging that this discussion is revolving around?

Fixing the cracks won't alter the fact that the drive is dead, but
whatever. One of these weeks, soon i hope, I'll have a new CD
reader/burner to connect to a Firewire 800 PC card that arrived the
other day. (The card is backward compatible to F-wire 400, also).

In a more-perfect World I'd find a small suitcase of cash, do a
mobo-swap (maybe to an 867 or 1 gig) to fix the dead internal
firewire port ( ah yes, no 'gate' on the pre-867 Ti-Book Firewire
ports), and drop a SuperDrive in to replace the dead Combo...
<dreamin' again, oops).

Regardless, I'm planning on keeping the 667 forever, no matter what
else might occur, so fixing the trim, although 'trivial', would be
nice.

~flipper