[Ti] How to remove OS9

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Thu May 27 10:12:27 PDT 2004

On May 27, 2004, at 10:52 AM, Dennis Fazio wrote:
> I believe that is not possible since there is either hardware or
> firmware missing or such a task would require knowledge or information
> about the system that is not available outside of Apple. I think Apple
> did what was necessary to make sure OS 9 has no chance of survival
> into the future.

I think this is basically right.  You can only support a legacy system
for so long, and all current development efforts on the Macintosh
platform are centered around OS X.  I haven't had a need to actually
boot to OS 9 for over a year now.  But I still use some OS 9 apps, like
RealProducer, that run and work fine in Classic mode.  I think Apple
will continue to support OS 9 for the foreseeable future in Classic
mode, but with OS X at age 4, and OS 9 rather limited in the amount of
memory it can access, and development efforts for it basically dead,
it's time to move on.
--
Chris