[Ti] Aluminum books - fit and finish

rob morris rob.morris at earthlink.net
Fri May 28 06:17:48 PDT 2004

On 28.5.2004 7:15, "Jerry Krinock" <jerry at ieee.org> wrote:

> on 04/05/27 13:18, khyber courchesne at courchesne at onebox.com wrote:
>
>> Has anybody noticed a film on the LED open latch button?  Mine is scraping
>> off. I can't tell what material it is.  It comes off like a lottery foil
>> under your fingernail.  I wonder what the point of it is, since it just
>> reveals a slightly different shade of metallic silver underneath.
>>
> I agree, mine looks a little thin at the edges (it is only a week old).
>
> Also, I am curious to know if anyone knows what is the finish on the outer
> aluminum surfaces of these powerebooks.  Are they painted? anodized?
>
> Jerry

 That I am not sure of what finish actually is, but friend of mine, who owns
a AL 1.25 Powerbook is already seeing black through the finish on one side.
Not sure why.  He does not wear a watch, does not have anything on that
would scratch or wear on the surface at all. Just the edge of his arm/wrist
resting there while typing. Strange.  He takes very good care of his book so
it is a result of his normal position of typing/use.  He was going to send
it in for an Apple Care related issue and ask Apple about this problem.  He
and I both thought that with the AL books that, true, no scratching like
could and did happen to a lot of the Ti books, and his is not scratched one
bit, but that they would not wear like this on the AL Books.  I have not
seen any others like this at all.