need root help

Steve Wozniak steve at woz.org
Fri May 28 17:58:33 PDT 2004

When I got a brand new 17" Al, some time ago, I ran the initial registration screen with a Dvorak keyboard layout selected.

This computer belongs to an American (non Dvorak).

She sets the only keyboard selection to be QWERTY.

Upon certain actions, such as restarting or accessing "About this Mac" the computer switches to Dvorak. But there's no guarantee that it will happen right away. It's a quirky intermittant problem that keeps coming up.

The current work-around is to select both QWERTY and Dvorak keyboards and switch in the menu (or with a keyboard shortcut).

The Apple Store geniuses looked at it this week but had no solution. They said that it was a root level problem. This problem has persisted throughout system installations and updates. I couldn't swear whether a clean install has been done or not, but it's likely.

Does anyone have suggestions that really might fix this.
--

Regards,

Steve  (is tv wake zone?)