[Ti] need root help

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Sat May 29 12:53:01 PDT 2004

No real solutions, but you ask for "suggestions", and it's an
interesting question :-) :

Just to check, was "initial registration" all you did in Dvorak,
or are you just presuming *that* did some setting?  Is initial
registration anything more than the creation of the
SendRegistration.setup file?  I forget whether actual initial
setup (time zone, default language, etc) is separate or not
from initial registration.  And after, what else might have been
done later?

Since you are guessing startup seems might be involved, does
verbose startup give any clues?

In any case, have you done a (maybe tedious to review results)
file content search for eg "Dvorak" to see in what plists, etc
it might show up?  And then try substitute eg "Querty" string
in any such plists, etc?  Of course the hope is that maybe only
one such file has the Dvorak setting, and it's referenced only
occasionally; tho maybe there would be a few such files.  It
seems unlikely actual kernel would be set to Dvorak--would
kexts, etc be covered by a search-all-visibility-files search?
Or package contents?  I haven't checked this now.

The "root-level problem" phrase sounds a little vague, maybe
hinting of bogusity in this context.  Did the genius bar people
try a call to the special tech help they have available?  I once
ended up talking to someone in AirPort development or some such
for a technical issue I had.

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Steve Wozniak wrote:

> When I got a brand new 17" Al, some time ago, I ran the initial
  registration screen with a Dvorak keyboard layout selected.

> This computer belongs to an American (non Dvorak).
>
> She sets the only keyboard selection to be QWERTY.
>
> Upon certain actions, such as restarting or accessing "About this Mac"
  the computer switches to Dvorak. But there's no guarantee that it will
  happen right away. It's a quirky intermittant problem that
  keeps coming up.

> The current work-around is to select both QWERTY and Dvorak
  keyboards and switch in the menu (or with a keyboard shortcut).

> The Apple Store geniuses looked at it this week but had no solution.
  They said that it was a root level problem. This problem has persisted
   throughout system installations and updates. I couldn't swear whether
  a clean install has been done or not, but it's likely.