[Ti] 19" Ti-books (oops, Al-Books)

b fl1pper at earthlink.net
Sun May 30 15:10:25 PDT 2004

Sam Hotchkiss paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>On 5/30/04 12:54 PM, "b" <fl1pper at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>  Because i despise LCDs...
>
>What?  Why?

I worked in color correction, and I've done a lot of proofreading. I
find myself getting eyestrain on the laptops. Same thing happens with
average CRTs, so it isn't just about LCDs. I imagine the Hi-Def flat
panels are a whole different story, but my external monitor (at home)
has a lot more calibration tools builtin. (convergence, pinning,
balanced color to the corners,,etc). As the external ages, it can be
adjusted to compensate for its 'senility'.

"Despise" was a little harsh <laughs> . I prefer the desktop CRTs.
NOT the one I use at work, however. It's a Samsung 9250 or
9300-something, and is a guaranteed headache after 8 hours of
intensive focusing. My LaCie, at home has been in front of me during
more than a few 90+ hour jags... no eyestrain whatsoever.

And on my LCD some 'blacks' come out in that same 'muddy' brown that
amateurs get when they mix C, M, and Y (in high, equal proportions)
to get that 'black is all the primaries mixed' color. That may work,
to some degree, in print, but not on screen. On the LaCie, black is
black. Period.

The same photos will have truer blacks on my external, but oddly
enough, a DVD with pure black frames will portray pure black on the
LCD... inconsistency is also not cool when calibration/correction is
involved. If i use the LCD, alone, for hours (not with a lot of tiny
print, or alternating near-field refocusing of my reading eyes) I
don't mind it a bit. And the quality of whatever is presented plays a
serious role also. That being said, I don't have to even 'consider'
questions of inconsistency where the external CRT is concerned.

For most users (including myself when i'm not in an intensive visual
work-mode) the LCD is just fine.

~flipper