[Ti] Poll 19

Peter Krug pkrug at mac.com
Mon May 31 19:56:32 PDT 2004

>At 10:46 -0700 30/5/04, khyber courchesne wrote:
>>Would you buy a powerbook with a 19" screen?
>>

>No.
>
>The 17" is already too big to be "portable" (its really just a
>luggable desktop) and 19" would be worse.

Do people really think that 17" PB's are bought only as desktop
replacements?  That is a slow/expensive proposition.  I take my
LunchTrayDeluxe home from work every day.  I use the Brenthaven
backpack.  There is little difference in weight as compared to the
15" Powerbook when your backpack is filled with all sorts of other
stuff that weigh as much or more than the Powerbook.  I love the
extra screen real estate for palettes and secondary windows.  It is
especially handy for large excel spreadsheets and DNA sequence
analysis (bigger screen = less scrolling).  Also, I hate having
multiple copies of documents at home and at work.  I hate having to
sync.

Would I buy a 19" PB? Maybe.  But  now that the 17" and 15" PBs have
exactly the same options at retail, I think the 17" are not selling
well enough to justify a jump to 19".  In my opinion, size/weight is
not the issue - it is price vs. the benefit of the extra pixels.  Is
$300 worth the extra pixels now?  To me, it is.

Peter
--
A little computer haiku:
I can't remember

This message sent with Eudora 6.1 on Mac OS X 10.3.4