[Ti] SMART status failing: travelstar... upgrade?

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Sun Nov 21 12:59:31 PST 2004

At 12:20 -0600 21/11/04, Chris Olson wrote:
>On Nov 20, 2004, at 8:24 PM, John wrote:
>
>>How does it warn you? I didn't know Macs could read that SMART status thing.
>
>They can.  Open a terminal window and type:
>diskutil info disk0

Chris - again, very helpful input !!

Just for my own informaiton, I did what you suggested, and got this
(extract of) output:

    Partition Type:     Apple_partition_scheme
    Bootable:             Not bootable
    Media Type:         Generic
    Protocol:              ATA
    SMART Status:    Verified

    Total Size:         74.5 GB
    Free Space:         0.0 B

     Low Level Format:   Not Supported

I was surprised to see that :

	1. the disk is stated to be not bootable
	2. low-level format is not supported

How can 1 be true, as this is my start-up disk, and can 2 be true?

regards,  Trevor